Tuesday, June 19, 2007

In the 80's

It was difficult for me to come up with any music that I loved from the 80's because my parents loved country and that is mostly all I heard for all ten years. I don't listen to that sort of music much anymore, but if you ask, I probably know all of the popular country songs from the 80's.
To come up with my favorite song from the eighties took a while. It seemed that every song that I thought of was actually written in the nineties.
Then I thought of Rich Mullins - I figured that he'd been around for a while, but I was almost wrong. He started producing albums in the late eighties and died in 97. Over those few years, he produced a fantastic body of work. He is one of my very favorite artists; and by artist, it seemed like he could play anything, and to me, when he wrote a song, he wasn't afraid to lay his heart out. As I was looking for a link to the song I've chosen, I found on YouTube a video of a concert that Rich put on. If you watch it and you know me, it should be easy to figure out why I like His stuff so much. It was cool to see Rich doing his thing and it seemed really familiar - it was filmed at the Carpenter's Way church in Lufkin. It was the second concert of Rich's that we made in the year. You can see the first part (1 of 6) of the concert by clicking here. At that particular concert, during intermission, I was wandering the halls of the church and I unknowingly busted in on Rich and the band resting, getting ready for the second half. It was a weird moment but they waved and I left the room feeling like a big doofus. That concert was two months before he died.
The song that I love is called If I stand - released 1988 -You can listen to an amazon.com clip here. (though it's pretty short) If you don't have this album Songs, you need to get it!

The stuff of Earth competes
For the allegiance
I owe only to the giver
Of all good things


So if I stand let me stand on the promise
That you will pull me through
And if I can't, let me fall on the grace
That first brought me to You
And if I sing let me sing for the joy
That has born in me these songs
And if I weep let it be as a man
Who is longing for his home


1 comment:

Caci said...

you never told me you saw Rich and the band resting during intermission. Do I even know you? where was I while you were wandering? Hmmm.....sounds fishy to me

Benny and the Newtones



Benny%20and%20the%20Newtones
Quantcast